Thursday, April 28, 2011

Being a Mommyhood Tour Guide

Okay, this time at Costco people were so helpful and not mean at all like last time. The question really is, why the boys no longer doing well at Costco? They are a bit crazy every time we go there and something weird always happens. Maybe the real issue is that I am at Costco too often and who but myself, my mother, and Manoj likes to go to Costco every week? Maybe my boys have it right, we should have just gone somewhere to play in the sunshine.
This time we did a fair amount of shopping without any hitches. After we got all we needed we went to get some of those ever famous Costco hot dogs and to meet up with a friend for a quick lunch. As we were eating lunch Alex pinched his finger in a stroller and the screaming was insane. That kid has some lungs and he screams so high pitched that everyone of course looked at us. A nice lady next to us ran to get some ice for his finger and everyone at her table was so kind and helpful. These things happen with kids so it wasn't all that stressful but just as I get Alex to stop screaming, Markus falls on the ground and hits his head. Now both my children are screaming and it's echoing through the whole eating area. Well, at this point there is not much the nice people next to us can do to fix the situation and I just start packing up and trying to get the heck out of there. The funny thing I noticed about me is once these things start to happen I start acting kind of like I am on stage...I know people are looking at me and I start to speak to the crowd as a whole. I say things like, "Oh, kids, they never let you finish a meal," and "Oh my boys, they better sleep this afternoon 'cause mama needs a nap!" The one I kept saying today was, "Once my husband gets home I am gonna give him the kids and take a relaxing bath." Hmmm really?! First off, not true. The chances of this happening are very slim because I am sure I will find something else I "need" to do before bed. Secondly, why do I feel the need to be funny or make announcements when my children are acting up? It's like I suddenly become a tour guide to all of the poor people thrust into my crazy mommyhood. I also become a tour guide when I am just plain nervous...it makes my poor husband crazy. I just make announcements to the people doing their own thing around us like, "Man, this weather is nice. Makes you want to not leave San Diego." My husband calls it talking to the air.
I said goodbye to my friend and the nice people at the table next to us and I made it to the car, put all of the groceries in, and was putting Alex in when I bumped his leg on his car seat which sounds like it wouldn't hurt, but the kid was mad. He yelled at me, "Mom! YOU did this to me! YOU hurt my leg! YOU did this mom!" Normally, Alex is a very kind kid but sometimes he says things to me that make me want to leave him at Costco. Instead of walking away, a wonderful little voice in my head told me to stay and talk with him and to look at the big picture. I did and we resolved our issue, but man, for a second there I was ready to just go on a nice, long walk all by myself.
Well, I am just praying that our Costco trips become easier because man, I love Costco. I am finally starting to feel better from this yucky cold that has been raging through my house and I am hopeful, as always, that tomorrow will be a better day.

No comments: